Back to Recipes
- 3 x 120g of Galbani Fresh Mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 500g long reginette pasta
- 4 eggplants
- 1kg ripe tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 knob of butter
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
To make the sauce
- Blanch the tomatoes by plunging into boiling water for a few seconds, then refresh under cold water.
- Peel the blanched tomatoes, remove seeds and chop coarsely.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan over medium heat and gently cook garlic and onion until just brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, salt and black pepper then a couple of the basil leaves.
- Cook over medium heat for approximately 30 minutes.
To make the pasta
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the pasta until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, without peeling, cut the eggplant into half centimetre slices.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan and fry the eggplant in batches for a few minutes then drain on a kitchen towel. The eggplant should be cooked in lots of oil so add more if you do not have enough.
- Once pasta has cooked, drain and stir in ¾ of the tomato sauce.
- Finely chop remaining basil leaves.
- Butter a baking dish and layer the pasta, eggplant slices, Galbani Fresh Mozzarella slices and chopped basil.
- Cover with remaining sauce and place in a preheated oven to 220°C for 20 minutes.
- Leave to stand for around 10 minutes before serving.